A Preventative Approach
We want the ‘Best Health and Wellbeing’ for people and communities. Overall what we all want for ourselves and the people that we love is to:
- be resilient with a sense of belonging, safety and purpose
- live healthy lives in healthy places
- avoid the need treatment and care for physical or mental health conditions in the first place
- stop diseases from getting worse, by intervening early and/or slowing or reducing disease progression
- be able to manage the impact of any lasting illness or condition for either ourselves or those who care for us
We have opportunities to help people to do this right across our Integrated Care System through a comprehensive preventative approach that spans from consideration of the significant impact of the wider determinants or the “causes of the causes” of health through to health and care service delivery.
Making a preventative approach a collective priority for all partners in our Integrated Care System will ensure that we use our limited resources efficiently to improve people’s health and wellbeing. Building prevention into everything that we do will include:
- moving the NHS from a ‘treatment only’ to a health and wellbeing service
- considering how social care can intervene earlier to support people to remain healthy and independent for as long as possible
- valuing the role of local community organisations in strengthening communities, delivering social value and helping families and carers to support independence, health and wellbeing for people and communities.
A Lifelong Approach
Relevant plans and strategies
Ipswich and East Suffolk
North East Essex