Equalities Film Competition
Although Covid19 has affected us all in some way, each of us will have experienced the pandemic differently and we will each face different challenges moving forward.
We want to make sure that as we plan our next steps for the local health and care system we fully understand the many diverse perspectives and experiences of people in Suffolk and North East Essex. We want to know:
We are asking people in Suffolk and North East Essex to send us their 1-2 minute films describing their individual recent experiences of health and care and their personal perspective on the question ‘How do we help everyone heal?’.
Your film might perhaps include the experiences of people from BAME or LGBTQ+ communities, those with physical, sensory or learning disabilities, those living with mental health problems or obesity, or what it is like to live in a very deprived or remote area.
Films will be entered into a competition with prizes for the best films awarded at an Online Awards Ceremony in May 2021. We will also use the best film entries, with your permission, to create a Digital Online Forum and as to help with local discussions about health equality.
Leading the competition and chairing the panel of judges is our ICS Equalities Lead, David Akinsanya who has worked in broadcasting for 25 years and presented on television for the BBC and Channel 4. For more information about how you might make your film and the criteria that will be used to judge the competition. See the film competition rules below.
Some key points are that:
- films can be made using any means including use of a smartphone;
- your film format could be simply straight to camera or could include a more ‘produced’ approach perhaps using film editing;
- you will need to have the permission of anyone who is featured in your film to share it with us;
- we are looking for originality, creativity and powerful messaging about the realities of health inequalities in our local communities in Suffolk and North East Essex.
- all entries must be submitted with the consent form, please download here
- adult consent must be given on the consent form if you are under the age of 18 years.
Competition prizes will include wellbeing vouchers for laptops, iPads, bikes and spa days. There will be specific competition categories for different ages and different film styles.
David can be contacted directly at email@example.com. Film entries may be submitted either by WhatsApp 07514 622150 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org The closing date for entries is 5:00pm on Friday 30th April 2021.
- They must be on topic - exploring or exposing health inequalities
- The films can be edited or one shot
- The films can be a made by a group or an individual (We welcome films made in collaboration especially if to enable a message from those who have no film experience but a strong message)
- Entries will only be considered from North East Essex and Suffolk.
- The films need to have good sound quality so the message is heard.
- Please obtain adult consent if you are under 18 years.
- How they look and sound.
- The message and passion.
- Their ability to express an experience for others to understand.
- We will judge on the look and feel of the films and production is important but the message is also equally important.
- Creativity and interesting ways of getting your message across.